Saturday, November 30, 2013

Part 2

After walking the dogs and showering, I notice a missed call.  It's 9 am.

Message: the little black cat is injured.  She wasn't doing well yesterday.  

Today she's going into surgery.

"She has a hole in a muscle by her side where the dog bit her.  The good news is that it doesn't appear to have punctured her bowel, which could really be fatal."

Sheesh.  Callie's life is in danger.  

Nailah and I are not off the hook.  

Of course she was hurt: Nailah's teeth were clamped on her.

I will pay for surgery.  (How will I tell John? When?)  It will be at 1 pm.

OMG, why was I so stupid?  Why did I bring a wild Arizona dog to Los Angeles?

I drive to the Animal Specialty and Emergency Center, thinking to sit with the cat's owner during the surgery and pay afterward.

I walk in and realize the owner is not there.  I sit down in the dog waiting room.  I can't ask about Callie because of confidentiality.  She's not my cat.

What if the staff recognize me?  I've been here several times with Nailah getting chemo.  

Yes, it's Nailah, the dog whose life you saved, who attacked Callie.  I'm the owner who let this happen.

I drive home and go to the home of Callie's owner, a block away from my house.  

I extend apologies and promise to pay the costs.

After the surgery, the report, by phone texting: Callie had four internal hernias.

"Amazing that she survived initially," I text back.

"Love," texts my neighbor.

~

I can't exactly visualize an internal hernia on a cat.

I'm praying for Callie to live.  Can the Creator of the Universe take interest in a little cat?  Does God know or care?  

Note: not one sparrow falls to the ground without God's notice (Matt. 10:29).

Could you provide another miracle, please, God?  

Yes, thank you that this little cat survived the initial attack.  Now could you heal her completely?

No comments:

Post a Comment