Friday, November 1, 2013

Fund Raising

I go into shock when I see the dollar signs on radiation treatment for my dog.

For the first time, I walk out of Animal Specialty & Emergency Center on Sepulveda Blvd. at Santa Monica Blvd. in tears.  

Bad enough to have spent so much money already on this dog I picked up in the desert two months ago.

And now more?  $2000?
Nailah trying to get the squirrel she chased up a palm tree.


Even I am not crazy enough to pay that.  

Nor is my husband.  

I take the dogs for a walk into Santa Monica College, near my house.  There's a nice enclosed grassy lawn with a beautiful fountain.  I need some thinking time.

Never mind that dogs are not allowed on the campus.  What's a small ticket compared to the numbers I'm facing?

Nailah enjoys herself trying to climb a palm tree to get a squirrel.  Stormy prances around the fountain as if it's an agility training course.

When I get home, Marie calls me.  Her brand new iPhone 5s arrived.

After a while, I tell her that the vet is recommending radiation for Nailah, and the cost is pretty scary.

"Dad's going to kill me if I spend any more on this dog," I confide.  "I have to raise the money somehow."

She gets it.  "So what ideas do you have, Mom?"

"I've decided to write a book on Nailah and make millions of dollars.  Everybody loves dog books."

"Mom, I think you'll raise it faster with a bake sale," she answers.

We make a list:
1.  Bake sale.
2. Tutoring kids at Santa Monica High School.
3.  Getting a job at Santa Monica College.  (I've tried that before, I tell her.)
4.  Setting up a fund for Nailah and asking for donations as a Christmas present.
5.  Dog sitting and dog walking.
6.  Writing a book that will sell a million copies.

I favor the last option.  

We agree that this is a crisis.  Marie is very sympathetic, but she knows when something is too big for a little long-distance compassion. 

"You better call your therapist."

Photos of Nailah and Stormy on our walk:

https://picasaweb.google.com/102150538747404124091/2013InjunDogAndThePalmTree

No comments:

Post a Comment