Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Hooray for Home Insurance!

I got a call from a State Farm claims agent today, and she had great news.

My dog injuring a cat, even a block from my home, is probably covered by our home insurance.

"Your dog is part of your property," she explained.  "This event is considered to be property damage."

Yes, Na'ilah is my property.  She's not damaged, but it still counts as property damage.  Maybe it's like someone falling on my front steps and getting injured; I understand why that is covered, but this didn't happen on my property.

That is, I walk my property twice a day, and somehow a bubble of insurance coverage moves with us.  Hey, I'm not questioning this--I'm just grateful.

"I feel pretty confident that we'll be able to accept liability on your behalf," she said.

Her name is Sarah Hernandez, and she was calling from Bakersfield.  She asked me to send a copy of the cat's medical bill to Phoenix.

She took notes as I recounted the whole story, and she said she would also have to speak with the cat's owner.

At that point, I was hesitant.

"You aren't going to contact her insurance and decide which insurance will cover it?" I asked.  If it was going to be like that, the way a car accident is handled, I would not be willing to bother my neighbor.  She's already suffered enough with her cat being attacked and nearly killed.

"No, there's no need to contact her insurance," Sarah assured me.  "We just need to hear from her and ask her to sign a release from any further liability, such as a lawsuit."

By the end of the conversation, I felt as if Sarah was my best friend.  She told me that she has a dog and she understood how something like this could happen.  We agreed that letting Na'ilah sniff and stare at a cat was a big mistake, not to be repeated.

She even said that there's no $500 deductible--the whole amount will be covered.

"You have a great day--a great week!" Sarah said as she hung up.

I sat there stunned with the good news.  Yes--a great day.  A great week.


No comments:

Post a Comment